Information Retrieval Research Engineer
We are looking for a research engineer with experience in Information Retrieval and Machine Learning to join our Search R&D team and contribute to our Search! product, a semantic search engine that matches people with jobs.
Do you have an up-to-date knowledge of and experience with machine learning techniques related to information retrieval problems such as search result personalization or collaborative filtering, and are eager to apply your ideas in a real-world setting?
Are you driven by ideas how to improve and evaluate search engines and have a self-motivated, ambitious and creative personality?
If your answers have been “Yes” – we are looking forward to your application! Don’t hesitate to read on for the exact job details, qualifications and benefits.
Products you’ll be working on
You’ll be working on the Search R&D team, which is involved with improving our Search! product, a semantic search system that supports searching over internally indexed as well as external sources in multiple languages using a complex internal data model and custom query language. It is developed using Java and backed by technologies such as Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL / MySQL and Apache Cassandra.
Your focus will be on improving or creating typical IR aspects of the software such as learning to rank, synonym/keyword expansion, result explanation and autosuggestion; as well as possibly identifying IR-related areas of improvements yourself by making usage data interpretable. This involves presenting and discussing ideas, designing and setting up automated experiments and evaluating the results, as well as implementing the final functionality in Java of production-ready quality. As we are transitioning into a data-driven approach you will also work on tools to collect the necessary information or implicit feedback from our logs.
Who you are
- A Master degree in Artificial Intelligence or Computer Science. If not, you’re able to demonstrate extensive (course)work experience related to Machine Learning / Information Retrieval.
- Strong programming fundamentals in Object Oriented programming, data structures and design patterns, preferably in Java. Experienced with scripting languages as Python or Perl.
- Familiarity with Information Retrieval – concepts as F1-score, inverted index, TF-IDF, query expansion, position bias and Learning to Rank hold no secrets for you.
- Knowledge of and experience with classical machine learning algorithms for regression (e.g. Ridge, Lasso, logistic, ordinal) and classification (e.g. nearest-neighbours, SVM’s), preferably also with dimensionality reduction techniques (e.g. PCA), as well as with concepts of bagging and boosting.
- Comfortable working with search engines (Elasticsearch / Solr / Terrier) and databases (SQL / Cassandra / graph).
What we offer
- A fast growing, driven and motivated team with over 25 nationalities
- Opportunity to have a big impact on our market-leading products and processes
- Strong focus on personal development: meetups, courses, scientific conferences
- Flexible working hours
- Free lunches, snacks and drinks – whatever you fancy, our kitchen has it all!
- Monthly chair massages & Friday demos with chilled drinks
- Easy access with public transportation and free onsite parking
- Yearly week-long hackathon: innovation week
We are a fast growing company developing cutting edge technologies based on NLP, AI, semantics and machine learning in a no-nonsense, informal and professional working environment. Innovation is at the heart of what we do. We pride ourselves on providing recruitment and HR professionals around the world with solutions that radically improve and accelerate the connection between employers and candidates.
We are small enough to make you matter, but big enough to have a very recognisable impact on the market supported by solid infrastructure.
If you are like us, passionate about intelligent machines, advanced computing and R&D, we have the right opportunity for you!